Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Polls Are Closed

Last week I posted two polls on the sidebar of this website. They certainly weren't scientific in any stretch of the imagination, but I was hoping that they would provide us with some idea of what other readers are thinking.

The first poll asked,
To what extent are you aware that we will be using a new Roman Missal in our country within a few years?
87% of readers (14 votes) said that they are very aware; 12% (2 readers) said that they are somewhat aware. No one said that they were not aware at all.

I posted this poll simply out of curiosity. I wanted to get a general sense of where people are and not simply assume. Quite honestly, I expected fewer people to say that they were very aware, so I'm glad I asked.

The other poll asked,
Have you reminded parishioners about the proper manner for receiving Communion over the past year (check all that apply).
Here the vote percentages added up by the polling program reached 113%! Nevertheless, 13 votes said that they had provided some catechesis, either verbal or in the bulletin while 3 votes said that none was provided.

I posed this question based upon my work at our diocesan workshops for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. EMs consistently brought up issues about the way people receive Communion. From gum-chewing communicants to those who insist on self-intinction, the EMs sometimes worry that people are not as reverent as they should be and they also are concerned about their role in this situation.

After hearing these very same concerns presented at nearly every workshop (around 70, I think), we developed some material for use in the diocese. I am hoping that this year we can develop more material to assist with the liturgical catechesis of people in the pew. I'm interested to hear if you have any suggestions or thoughts on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment