Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

Tomorrow our nation celebrates Thanksgiving, a day that, unfortunately, is in danger of being overshadowed by the shopping frenzy of "Black Friday." In the United States most consider the celebration of pilgrims together with native Americans as the origin. It seems that our ancestors had a real sense gratitude to God for the blessings received.

Giving thanks to God lies at the heart of prayer in the Judeo-Christian tradition. In fact, our word Eucharist comes from a Greek word, eucharistein, which means "to give thanks and praise." It grew out of the Jewish prayer of blessing, often used during meals, recounting God's great works of creation, redemption and sanctification. (see Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1328).

When people speak to me about their participation in the Mass, they often speak of in terms of the many graces that they receive from God--spiritual refreshment, peace, forgiveness, etc. These are excellent things, but I think what we receive is only part of the story. The other part is what we give back to God.

The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy says,
the liturgy is the summit toward which the activity of the Church is directed; at the same time it is the font from which all her power flows. (paragraph 10)

Font and summit.

This, to me, is a reminder that we are not simply there to receive, but to give back to God the things we have (that he has given us). We give back our lives, our hearts, our work and our joys with the realization that everything that is good comes from him because he loves us (not because we deserve it!). We also give back our pain, suffering, sadness, and troubles. It was through pain, suffering and humility that God saved the world through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. If we give the challenges of our lives back to God, he can transform them into something magnificent as well (if not in this world, in the next).

Gratitude also needs to be part of our daily prayer. In my own prayer life I feel much more centered when I am able to thank God for creation, life, family, work, Church and the countless blessings seen every day. When I do so, I find that there seems to be less for which to ask.

I often find myself focusing on what I "need" rather than the great blessings God has bestowed on me. I have a wonderful wife and children, loving and generous parents, a nice home, meaningful work, and plenty of food (to name a few of the most important blessings). Many, many fathers go to sleep every night wondering if their children will have a meal the next day or if they will be safe from community or ethnic violence. Many women and children are abused and don't know where to turn. Many elderly are abandoned. Many children are starving. My "needs" certainly are insignificant in comparison.

My wife--the real liturgist in the family--began a practice in our family as part of our dinnertime prayer. Each person needs to say something for which they are thankful. When I am being terrorized by my children or am disappointed with my work, it's always good to give thanks for these things. The terror or disappointment will pass, but God's great gifts remain for ever!

It is good to give thanks to the LORD,
to sing praise to your name, Most High,
To proclaim your love in the morning,
your faithfulness in the night,
With the ten-stringed harp, with melody upon the lyre.
For you make me jubilant, LORD, by your deeds;
at the works of your hands I shout for joy.
How great are your works, LORD!
How profound your purpose!

The just shall flourish like the palm tree,
shall grow like a cedar of Lebanon.
Planted in the house of the LORD,
they shall flourish in the courts of our God.
They shall bear fruit even in old age,
always vigorous and sturdy,
As they proclaim:
"The LORD is just; our rock,
in whom there is no wrong."

Psalm 92:2-6, 13-16 (NAB)

1 comment:

  1. I like it! Did you know that only 15% of American households eat a daily meal together--and even fewer than that spend that meal conversing? Years ago, we began the tradition at our table of naming our favorite parts of the day. Each of us gets the chance to tell the others, and often I am surprised at the resulting conversations. Even as a home schooling family, I don't see and hear every little thing that goes on--if the children are in another room, for instance--and that talk at the supper table is as precious as gold. What a great reminder, Pat. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete