Monday, March 29, 2010

Behold and See

I am sorry for the lack of posts these past few weeks, but I figure that most of the people who view this blog (and your numbers are over a dozen, if you count my family!) are also pretty busy this Lent.

Now we come to our high holy days. The mysteries that we celebrate have inspired some of the greatest choral music throughout history. I hope to find time this week to highlight some of these compositions (some old favorites, some that may be new to you). You can play them on your desktop while you're furiously finishing all of the other things that you need to do during Holy Week. I hope it helps all of us stay focused!

Below is a recording of cellist and composer Pablo Casals' O vos omnes. Casals (1876-1973) had a strong personality and, one story goes, that when asked at age 93 why he still practices the cello he responded, "Because I am beginning to see some improvement."

His sacred choral music is on the fringe of the standard repertoire--you hear it performed, but not often. This piece is probably the most popular and is sung by some larger and more proficient church choirs. The translation is:

O you people who pass by, behold and see:
if there is any sorrow like my sorrow.
Behold, all people, and see my sorrow
if there is any sorrow like my sorrow.
The video below is not much to look at, but it is well sung.

No comments:

Post a Comment